We’ve said it before: “Reading is good for you”
And as President Barack Obama once said, “the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold, that magic threshold into a library, we change their lives forever, for the better”, I think we might all agree.
Reading with your child could be one of the most valuable gifts you can give, and receive.
It’s been reported widely that just 10 minutes of reading a day can make a dramatic difference to a child’s educational attainment.
- Reading is one of the best ways to develop bonds with your children
- The language in books will enrich a child’s vocabulary. It’s often far richer than our daily conversational range and style.
- A richer vocabulary only helps boost self-esteem and communications skills
- A child who has been read to will want to learn to read her self.
- Of the many habits children pick up from the grown-ups around them, reading is one activity children should discover their parents doing.
“The biggest single indicator of whether a child is going to thrive at school and in work is whether or not they read for pleasure” Unesco. However, despite the fact that nearly half of “reluctant readers*” said they would enjoy reading more if their parents read with them, 44% of them are rarely or never read to at home. (*age 7) (Books Beyond Bedtime)
It’s easy to forget, ignore or even deny… the simple gift of books, at our peril.
At Bookmark People we’ve been supporting the promotion of reading for more than 15 years. The prime aim of our local library bookmarks is to reinforce the link between people and their library service. Those of us that have had children ourselves, have seen firsthand at home;
- the joys of discovery through reading,
- the excitement of adventure through reading,
- the mechanics of development through reading,
- the wonder of query through reading,
- and so much more besides….
If the structures and fabrications we build in our worlds fail, often we turn to truths passed on in books to comfort and reinforce a notion of hope or strength in our lives.
We have a new bookmark design here specifically designed to promote the act of parents reading with their children:
The simple Reading Record bookmark has been used to good effect before; to be completed by the children, the bookmarks aim to encouraging parents and children (or even the children and parents), to simply read together for at least 10 minutes each day.
You may have seen the bookmarks we’ve designed for adults promoting the benefits of reading:
If we can help you visualise something engaging just shout – it’s what we do.
You can see other campaign designs here, search: “good for you”
Library and Educationally driven bookmark campaigns.
Realised; designed, produced, and delivered by Bookmark People.
For further information give us a call 0116 210 1440.
Pingback: Your wellbeing! #LoveLibraries… …better than chocolate! | Bookmark People
Pingback: An apple a day, keeps the doctor away… (a good book can also help!) | Bookmark People
Pingback: June… “time flies when you’re having fun” | Bookmark People
Pingback: An apple a day, keeps the doctor away… (a good book can also help!) | Jules P. Richards